Scattering and Attenuation
Stochastic modeling and measurement of small-scale heterogeneities and intrinsic attenuation of seismic waves in the crust.
(1) Stochastic modeling of small-scale heterogeneities in the crust and upper mantle: in contrast with a deterministic approach
(2) Scattering and attenuation in the crust and upper mantle: Stability of coda waves
(3) Regional variation of coda waves, and applications to site and source effects
(4) Scattering and attenuation using array observations: Born approximation, auto- and cross-correlations of phase and amplitude fluctuations
(5) Imaging of small-scale heterogeneities in the crust by coherent scattered waves in coda
(6) Anelastic attenuation of seismic waves: mechanism, measurement, frequency dependency, regional variation (if time is available)
Lecture note files of this course can be downloaded.